Brazilian teak decking or Cumaru decking is a reliable material that can be used both inside and outside the house. Because of its durability and elegance, it can be used for flooring, furniture, and even wall art. Interested? Before buying Cumaru wood, here are the five things that you should remember:
- Look at the quality: – Not all Brazilian teak decking materials are the same. Since they come from nature, the quality and strength of each one vary. This is why you should only deal with hardwood shops that sell Cumaru wood that are premium-grade and properly processed and manufactured. A S4S or E4E is recommended. S4S means ‘surface on 4 sides,’ which indicates that the decking is finished on all sides. E4E, on the other hand, means ‘eased 4 edges,’ which indicates that that all sides are slightly rounded.
- Size that fits your design: – You can actually order Brazilian teak decking materials based on your design requirements. The thickness and width that you can choose from include 1″ x 5.5″, 3/4″ x 5.5″, 1 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ and 3 1/2″ x 3 1/2″. Thinner ones are generally used for house room flooring and furniture, while the thicker Brazilian teak is used for outdoor decks.
- Maintenance: – All types of hardwood turn to silvery gray over time. It is best to coat your deck with a UV blocker to preserve the natural color of the wood.
- Sealers are important: – You need to use chemical sealers to protect the edges of Brazilian wood decking. Be sure to re-apply the sealer if you cut the wood into smaller pieces.
- Inventory of shop is crucial: – If your project is on a strict timeline, you need a shop that offers a huge inventory of Brazilian wood decking and can readily provide you with the materials you need. Confirm the availability of the decking material before you finalize your purchase.