Selecting the right material for your deck can significantly influence its overall quality, aesthetic appeal, and longevity. If you’re contemplating a deck makeover, ipe wood (also known as Brazilian walnut) should be at the top of your list. An ipe deck can transform your outdoor area into a luxurious and welcoming space. Here’s a closer look at reasons to choose ipe deck boards for your next project!
- Durability – Ipe decks are known for their extraordinary durability. In the US, ipe is often referred to as ‘ironwood’ because of its extreme hardness. It’s about three times harder than oak and boasts an impressive A1 fire rating, similar to concrete.
This density also makes ipe wood resistant to insect damage. Any insect trying to burrow into the wood is likely to give up and move on to softer targets. Due to its hardness, pre-drilling is required when working with ipe, but this small extra step is worth it for a deck that can last a lifetime.
- Low maintenance requirements – An ipe deck can withstand all sorts of weather conditions—from harsh storms to scorching sun—without needing chemical preservatives. This natural resistance makes it a low-maintenance option for homeowners. Ipe deck boards are naturally resistant to decay, moisture, rot, fungus, and termites.
- Remarkable hardness – Ipe wood ranks at 3680 lb on the Janka hardness scale, making it incredibly hard and resistant to wood-destroying organisms. Its hardness means you’ll need carbide-tipped tools and sharp saws for installation, ensuring a clean cut and a beautiful finish.
- No extensive preservation needed – Ipe wood doesn’t require much in the way of preservation. It will gracefully age to a silvery gray color if left unfinished. But if you prefer to keep its rich brown color, you can apply a high-quality UV-blocking finish periodically. This small effort can keep your deck looking elegant for many years.
- Natural beauty and color variations – Ipe deck boards offer a beautiful range of brown shades, each board having its own unique character. You’ll find variations from dark (almost black) hues to lighter ones with green or red undertones. Ipe has a fine texture, showcasing an attractive graining pattern that adds to its visual appeal. Most boards have a predominantly medium brown tone, lending a timeless elegance and an exotic touch to your deck, making it stand out.
- Eco-friendly choice – Choosing ipe wood is not just about aesthetics and durability—it’s also an eco-friendly option. As a natural product, it does not involve the use of harmful chemicals during its production or disposal. By selecting FSC-certified ipe deck boards, you’re contributing to sustainable forestry practices.
- Comfort and safety – The natural characteristics of ipe wood make it a safe option for decking. Its slip-resistant properties are especially beneficial in areas that are frequently wet. Additionally, its resistance to heat absorption makes it comfortable to walk on, even on hot days.
- Long-term cost-effectiveness – While ipe wood may have a higher initial cost compared to other decking materials, its long lifespan and minimal maintenance requirements make it a cost-effective choice in the long run. You won’t have to worry about frequent replacements or repairs, saving you money over time.
By choosing ipe wood for your decking project, you’re investing in a long-lasting, beautiful outdoor space that you and your family will enjoy for years to come. Whether it’s hosting gatherings, enjoying quiet evenings, or simply admiring the natural beauty of the wood, an ipe deck will undoubtedly enhance your outdoor living experience.
Convinced about the merits of building an ipe deck? Source your materials from a trusted provider like ABS Wood to fully enjoy these benefits. Explore samples of ipe decks here on our website for inspiration, and Contact us at 404-549-4840 or 352-508-4990 for a quote.